Legends in the Sand: The Sword of Dregoth
Characteristics of Athas
The Dark Sun setting is a very different setting when compared to Forgotten Realms or Eberron. As such, there are a few things one should know before setting foot into the world of Athas.
Eight characteristics of the settings one should be familiar with:
1) The world is a desert, and a very unforgiving one at that.
2) The world is savage. Feuds over supplies and slavery is quite commonplace in Athas.
3) Metal is a very scarce resource. True, all metal weapons are rare to the point that a steel longsword is worth a noble’s ransom. Many common weapons are made of rock, wood, or bone.
4) Arcane Magic defiles the world. Arcane Spells sap life from plants, soil, and people nearby.
5) Sorcerer-Kings rule the City-States. Immortal defilers rule over the major civilization settlements with iron fists. Some even claim to be gods.
6) The Gods are Silent. The gods lost the war against the pimordials, leaving Athas as a world without Deities.
7) Fierce Monsters roam the world.
8) Familiar races aren’t what would be normally expected.
-Elves are a nomadic race of herders, raiders, peddlers, and theives.
- Wild Halflings are Xenophobic headhunters and cannibals.
-Goliaths are brutal mercenaries that often serve as guards for the Sorcerer-Kings.